About the upcoming deprecation of NSS

From: lwthiker via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2022 12:32:35 +0300

Hi,

I've just found out about the upcoming deprecation of the NSS support while trying to build curl with it. I'd like to point out a current use case for using curl+NSS as part of "curl-impersonate", a curl fork that I maintain and is available at https://github.com/lwthiker/curl-impersonate. NSS is used there to configure curl to look like Firefox when it comes to the TLS handshake. The project seems to have quite a substantial number of users using it currently, and specifically the Firefox mode.

I understand that "looking like a browser" is probably not one of the major goals of the curl project. However, in today's reality it is unfortunately becoming a necessity in many situations, even legitimate ones. It has found usage with security researchers, for example.

Anyway, just letting the list know of this possibly-important use case. Whatever the decision comes to be it will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

lwthiker