Re: Upload multipart with cURL & json & custom headers

From: Patrick Monnerat via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 13:42:40 +0200

On 6/23/22 11:08, Taw via curl-library wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to do a multipart/form-data upload with cURL + json +
> custom headers and I am not sure how to do it properly. I want
> something equivalent to this cmdline command:
>
> curl -H 'Content-Type: multipart/form-data' -H 'x-custom-header:
> custom value' https://url_to_upload -F "file=_at_file_to_upload" -F
> "params=_at_params.json"

If you have a working curl command like above, it is always possible to
use option --libcurl to generate the equivalent C code program pattern:
see https://curl.se/docs/manpage.html#--libcurl and
https://everything.curl.dev/libcurl/libcurl. You can set the file
argument to "-" to have the generated code written on stdout.

> 1. For JSON should I use CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS or
> curl_mime_addpart/curl_mime_name/curl_mime_data?
CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS and CURLOPT_MIMEPOST are mutually exclusive options:
If you use the former, data is supposed to be already formatted.
CURLOPT_MIMEPOST allows you to define each part separately and format
the whole post from them. If you want to send the JSON data in a form
part named "params", the simplest way is to use the mime API.
> 2. For headers should I use CURLOPT_HTTPHEADER or curl_mime_headers?
CURLOPT_HTTPHEADER sets http REQUEST headers, curl_mime_headers set mime
PARTS headers. The latter's scope is limited to the part itself.
> 3. Can I reuse a mime handle for multiple files? Is there any way to
> reset it, so I won't do curl_mime_init/curl_mime_free for each file?

I suppose you mean a reuse for a subsequent request on the same curl
handle? In this case, yes you can reuse it providing you do not need to
delete old parts, only modify them or add some.

There is no way to reset a whole mime handle, but you can still reapply
new parameters to PARTS (providing you have kept part handles around)
using the regular curl_mime_*() functions.

Please note the "Content-Type: multipart/form-data" request header is
the default for http(s) with CURLOPT_MIMEPOST: there's no need to set it
explicitly. You may however set "Content-Type: application/json" to the
"params" part, if needed by your server.