Re: About a websockets write callback

From: Nicolas Mora via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 08:59:30 -0400

Hello,

Here are my 2 öre based on my implementation of a websocket library.

Le 2022-06-17 à 07 h 39, Daniel Stenberg via curl-library a écrit :

> I would like to provide websockets data with the CURLOPT_WRITEFUNCTION
> callback as well. But how would libcurl provide the additional necessary
> metadata?

I assume when you talk about the CURLOPT_WRITEFUNCTION, it's related to
an incoming websocket message from the server to libcurl.

based on the write_callback definition, it's difficult to provide the
metadata in it.
For example, one could say that "for a websocket incoming message, the
first write_callback call, the *ptr value will contain the message
datestamp, the second call will contain the opcode, etc." Which would be
hard for users to work with, at least.

> My initial thought was to provide a special websocket function that only
> can be used from within the callback that would provide the extra
> information (type of data, opcode, and if the FIN bit is set or not
> etc). Like maybe
> 'curl_ws_metadata()'.

My best guess is to use a new curl option, something like
CURLOPT_WS_WRITEFUNCTION with a specific write_callback callback.

In this callback function libcurl would pass a pointer to a structure
that will contain the message metadata. Those metadata would be
accessible via the curl_ws_metadata() for example.

Another advantage of a specific websocket callback function would be
that this function will allow to manage the websocket entire communication.

For example, a received message can be ignored by the app, or the app
can disconnect the websocket if required, or send a message in answer to
a received one, etc.

/Nicolas