Re: Funds, server hosting and more

From: Ray Satiro via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2022 23:49:09 -0400

On 5/18/2022 7:08 AM, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Wed, 18 May 2022, Ray Satiro via curl-library wrote:
>
>> I suggest figure out and then document what the actual expenses are
>> and charge for that rather than an arbitrary amount. I'd guess donors
>> won't like arbitrary amounts as they're somewhat opaque.
>
> I did not do that because I do not want a discussion about hosting costs.
>
> The server used for most curl services is shared with other services
> so the price we [1] pay to our hosting company is not for just curl
> services. How large part of a hosting fee is for curl services? It's
> not an exact science.
>
> Talking "exact hosting costs" will bring the inevitable discussion on
> how to host the server cheaper (and I've already received numerous
> such offers), while that's not the only factor involved here. Far from
> it.
>
> You seem to then say none of my time and efforts should be included in
> the charge? Why is that?
>
> You guess this is what sponsors want. I talk to sponsors at least
> every once in a while and never have I heard such a request from a
> single one. Why would sponsors insist on this?
>
> The amount paid for these services is very exact and clear, and the
> expense is also publicly visible in curl's Open Collective records
> [2]. I imagine *that* is exactly what sponsors (and project memmbers)
> want? Our promise to sponsors is to spend the money on activities that
> benefit the curl project. I strongly believe this conforms to that
> promise.
>
> [1] = the server is run and maintained by Haxx AB, the Sweden based
> company I co-own with 3 friends. I am the "CEO" of Haxx.
>
> [2] = https://opencollective.com/curl

Sorry that I did not see this earlier. You seem to have taken some
offense and misinterpreted what I said. Your labor is an expense. I did
not suggest that you should not be paid for your time. What I did
suggest was that such expenses be clearly defined. If my guess that
donors don't want that detail was wrong so be it. My suggestion is based
on my experience submitting expenses that I've had to be exact to
justify them. I have worked both for-profit and not-for-profit.