RE: Deprecating 4 "wrong" RTMP protocol bits

From: Steve Holme via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2022 15:25:54 +0000

On Fri, 10 June 2022, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> I want to add two new protocols to libcurl soon (for websockets) but there is no room left in the
> CURLOPT_PROTO bitmask within 32 bits.
>
> The main reason there is no room left, in spite of curl only supporting 26 protocols, is that RTMP
> occupies *6* slots in that bitmask. I consider that a mistake, but a mistake that is done in the public
> API so changing it is a bit risky.

Even with that change that only gives us expandability for two more protocols in the future and then we are in the same position ☹

> If anyone has a better idea on how to solve this challenge, then let me know!

Should we take the opportunity to create a replacement to CURLOPT_PROTOCOLS and deprecate that?

Off the top of my head a replacement could be:

* A 64-bit value - I appreciate I've been out of the curl game a while so are 64-bit options fully supported on all platforms now, for example, are 64-bit options still a 'long' which on LLP64 platforms is an issue?
* A structure, which might include the base protocol, whether it is TLS or not, etc...

Kind Regards

Steve