Re: How to handle CA certificate bundles in portable application bundles (e.g., AppImages)?

From: Timothe Litt <litt_at_acm.org>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 20:31:34 -0400

> Can you query the path to the system CA certificate from libcurl
> reliably (e.g., using some dedicated function)?
I don't think so.  curl-config --configure may have "--with-ca-bundle=",
but if the bundle was defaulted by configure, I don't think it will be
listed.

Several limitations around the default bundle path have been noted:

It would be nice to have a curl_easy_getinfo() along the lines of:

|curl_easy_getinfo(CURL *curl, CURLINFO CURLINFO_CAINFO, char **path)|
to get a string with the current bundle path for a handle, and with the
'curl' argument NULL, the built-in library default.  Neither is
currently accessible.

This would also make it possible to reset a curl handle to the default
bundle path, another recent request.

Optionally, having |curl_easy_setopt( curl, CURLOPT_CAINFO, NULL)| would
be a handy shortcut for

|char *default_bundle = NULL; CURLcode err;||

|if( (err = curl_easy_getopt( NULL, CURLINFO_CAINFO, &default_bundle))
== CURLE_OK ) ) {|

|    err = curl_easy_setopt( NULL, CURLOPT_CAINFO, default_bundle ); /*
Or use a CURL handle instead of NULL to reset it */||

|    free( default_bundle ); /* maybe */

|    default_bundle = NULL;|

|} return err;||

> As far as I can see, there are both files bundles and directory
> bundles, which would have to be concatenated.
I don't see an efficient way to merge the (CAPATH) directories
containing certificates.  These contain softlinks with the hash of
certificates pointing to an individual certificate file.  The point is
to avoid reading all the certificates - when one is needed, the library
uses the hash to read just the one.  This is only a win if there are a
LOT of certificates.

Neither libcurl nor the application knows what certs will be needed in
advance. So if you want to search several directories, you'd be left
with either reading all the certs in all the directories into a big
bundle file, or creating a temporary directory and copying all the links
from directories in your search list into the temporary directory.  Then
specify that as a CURLOPT_CAPATH.  Either way would be so expensive as
to defeat the optimization.

A middle ground would be to specify the larger directory as a CAPATH,
and merge the certs in the smaller into a big CAINFO bundle.  This would
require application knowledge, and still wouldn't be very efficient.

As with CAINFO bundle merging, to make the cost worthwhile, the result
would have to be reused, and that will be more efficient if done externally.

Note that only a subset of TLS libraries support the CAPATH mechanism....

For all these reasons, I think this is even lower priority than merging
CAINFO bundles...

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer
if any, on the matters discussed.