Re: Makefile.am portability issue

From: Jonathan Nieder via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 09:28:33 -0700

Hi,

Christian Weisgerber wrote:

> $< can only be used in rules that deal with .SUFFIXES. Its use
> for general prerequisites is a GNU make extension.

There are a number of previous fixes along the same lines ("git log
--grep='GNU [Mm]ake'" finds a few), so in that sense making this fix
is only consistent. So

 Reviewed-by: Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder_at_gmail.com>

That said, I wonder about our 'make' portability requirements and
testing. What versions of 'make' do we actually intend to support?
Do we have CI jobs for those so this kind of issue could be caught
proactively?

Thanks,
Jonathan