Re: mail vs GitGub

From: Gavin Henry via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 08:23:48 +0100

> > It's also possible to add tooling like CI to mailing lists, much like it
> was
> > added to the GitHub repository.
>
> I have never seen it done to even a half-baked degree of the same level
> and
> effectiveness as we do it now on GitHub. And so far no one else has
> insisted
> or even suggested we do. It feels like a lot of effort to please very few
> developers. I'm don't see myself working on that anytime soon.

Having just packaged up OpenDHT for Alpine linux, I know they have a
mailbot that picks up git patches from the mailing list and does a merge
request into their gitlab. This then runs all their CI. But they do prefer
the more common fork and pull request workflow. Just a FYI.

https://lists.alpinelinux.org/~alpine/aports
https://gitlab.alpinelinux.org/alpine/aports/-/merge_requests

Gavin.