NSS deprecation

From: Aaltonen Eero via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 12:48:35 +0000

Saw commit 3738de3bd1efd7f3769443f9cbc485bd7ea4c397 about NSS
deprecation two days ago. I'll voice a few counterpoints:

> There are very few users left who use curl+NSS

At the moment, only the NSS version of curl supports PKCS#11 card
certificate based client authentication.

> There are very few users left who use curl+NSS

AFAIK most cross OS browsers use NSS. At least Chrome and Opera link to
it.

> NSS is harder than ever to find documentation for

Uh. Have to somewhat agree here. Although they seem to have gotten
their documentation rework somewhate done starting with
https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org/security/nss/releases/nss_3_64.html

A lot of their docs are still buried under legacy though, like
https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org/security/nss/legacy/pkcs11/index.html

> NSS was always "best" used with Red Hat Linux when they provided
additionalfeatures on top of the regular NSS that isn't shipped by the
vanilla library

Not sure what these features are, but I've used NSS on Ubuntu 18.04 via
Evolution for Email signing and curl(nss) for REST calls. Replicated
the curl(nss) functionality on Ubuntu 20.04 just this tuesday.

--
Best regards,
Eero Aaltonen