Time to deprecate NPN

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 11:25:11 +0100 (CET)

Hello!

I propose we make selecting NPN a no-op starting in August 2022 [1]

Next Protocol Negotiation (NPN) is a TLS extension that was created and used
for agreeing to use the SPDY protocol (the precursor to HTTP/2) for HTTPS. In
the early days of HTTP/2, before the spec was finalized and shipped, the
protocol could be enabled using this extension with some servers.

curl supports the NPN extension with some TLS backends since then, with a
command line option `--npn` and in libcurl with `CURLOPT_SSL_ENABLE_NPN`.

HTTP/2 proper is made to use the ALPN (Application-Layer Protocol Negotiation)
extension and the NPN extension has no purposes anymore. The HTTP/2 spec was
published in May 2015.

Today, use of NPN in the wild should be extremely rare and most likely totally
extinct. Chrome removed NPN support in Chrome 51, shipped in
June 2016. Removed in Firefox 53, April 2017.

[1] = https://github.com/curl/curl/pull/8458