Re: Has the time come to drop NSS?

From: Cristian Rodríguez via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 10:24:18 -0300

On Tue, Feb 1, 2022 at 7:28 AM Daniel Stenberg via curl-library
<curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se> wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Feb 2022, Daniel Gustafsson via curl-library wrote:
>
> > While thats true, that site is also a snapshot from 2008 carrying a warning
> > that some content may be unchanged since 1998, with NSPR 4.6 cited as the
> > latest release while a recent NSS requires NSPR 4.32 (4.33 is the latest).
> > It's not really a substitute for an actual API documentation.
>
> In the issue I filed about this problem I was directed to:
>
> https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org/security/nss/index.html
>
> (featuring this lovely warning: "It currently is very deprecated and likely
> incorrect or broken in many places.")
>
> ... which took me to this page:
> https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org/security/nss/legacy/reference/nspr_functions/index.html?highlight=pr_read
>
> ... which lead me to a 404 when I pressed that PR_Read link! :-/

It is my belief this library is really only suitable for use within
the moz ecosystem and not really for anything else.
At some point openssl had a weird license and its code was on a really
rough shape.. nowadays the license problem is gone and the code
quality has improved immensely.