Re: Has the time come to drop NSS?

From: bch via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 00:20:16 -0800

On Thu, Jan 27, 2022 at 23:56 Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <
curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This morning we got a fresh issue [1] filed that involves the NSS library.
>
> When I started to investigate this I ran a few google searches for some of
> the
> invovled functions in NSS, such as PR_Recv, only to realize that there
> just is
> no documentation for this to be found online anymore - anywhere. At least
> my
> searches fell short. (Which made me file [2])
>
> This is not in itself an alarming situation for us right now, since we can
> still just use it like before, but to be this is a very clear sign that
> the
> NSS team doesn't even bother anymore. To me, this is a clear sign they've
> stopped caring and a message for us to reconsider if leaning on this leg
> is a
> good idea for our users. Going forward into the mist with no map is not
> the
> future I want.

Certainly their “recent releases” page doesn’t list their most recent
release either:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Projects/NSS/NSS_Releases
(lists 3.66 as latest, though my pkgs were recently updated to 3.74, and
things look even worse (incoherent wrt what versions are published) when
one starts following links to published wikis…)

That said, isn’t it still a (US) govt approved (FIPS[0]) piece of software,
and valuable in that way?

[0]
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Projects/NSS/FIPS_Mode_-_an_explanation