RE: Time measurement

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 11:11:45 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 18 Jan 2022, Mellergård, Daniel via curl-library wrote:

> It's a bit complicated to reference the concepts in the linked page to the
> different time properties available. But reading the source, it seems like
> there is no reliable way to convert the timestamps to a real world time? It
> would be nice if that was possible, at least for tracing purposes.

These times you extract from libcurl are durations. We have no API that
exports the fixed times. We could probably consider that since the timestamps
are stored internally as absolute time.

> So it seems to me like the time for the transfer ends up in "wait" instead
> of "transfer" for http/2, but not for http/1.1. This is the same for both
> the servers I tested (with http/2).

Briefly looking at where in the code libcurl stores the timestamps, that code
does in most parts not even know nor care what protocol that is spoken, and
even less about what particular protocol version.

I would suggest you add some logs in the code or similar and check what
happens exactly for one of those scenarios to maybe figure out if there's
something wrong or what the exact explanation is for what you are observing.