Re: roadmap 2022 thoughts?

From: James Read via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 03:11:52 +0000

On Thu, Jan 6, 2022 at 10:55 PM Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Jan 2022, James Read via curl-library wrote:
>
> > Extensive testing with epoll has showed limitations in the speed up when
> > using concurrent connections.
>
> Have you ruled out that these limitations aren't just the results of bugs
> or
> plain inefficiencies in the code?
>
> > Perhaps it would be useful to add support for PACKET_MMAP style
> > communication to get more speed up out of it.
>
> In general I'm in favor of adventures to improve performance. Doing
> PACKET_MMAP style networking sounds like the TLS layer would also need
> some
> serious adjustments, so quite a hefty effort probably. Optimized transfers
> for
> clear-text only would feel a tad bit too much like 2016 or so! :-)

I've just done some preliminary tests with PACKET_MMAP, nothing too fancy
just some SYN packets to a list of a few million web servers, and it's
fast. Like so fast it overwhelms the NIC and you have to rate limit it. I
definitely think it would be worth the work to add support for PACKET_MMAP
style communication. The speed up is just phenomenal.

James Read