RE: Question about DNS timeout in libCurl

From: Dmitry Karpov via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 02:42:52 +0000

  * To be clear, my point is that a DNS server performance cache belongs ("inband") in c-ares/libcurl, not the client code. There is no need to update system files to implement this. It's pretty simple - "avoid timeouts by retaining what you learn".

Thanks for clarification, but I don’t think that such complexity should belong to c-ares/libcurl.
I believe that resolvers should only use the current system settings and provide a quick way to find working name servers from the list provided by the system.

All “retaining what you learn”, in my opinion, should be part of some external solutions, which can update the system settings used by c-ares/libcurl.
Such solutions may have different and project-specific preferences/settings (reachability metrics etc.) affecting how they choose which name servers to use, and it is not up to c-ares/libcurl to deal with this.

  * The other point, as I and others have made previously, is that the best (no new code) solution is to incorporate an existing caching nameserver in your product - bind, powerdns, systemd-resolved, and others. They have all the necessary logic & support.

This is not always possible for embedded systems with very tight space and similar requirements, and besides, this will not work for cross-platform projects (i.e. Windows)

  * Tweaking timeouts will not solve your problem.

I don’t think I can agree with that statement. I clearly see how tweaking timeouts and parallel queries can help to work around slow/bad name servers.

Thanks,
Dmitry Karpov