Re: Happy Eyeballs doesn't seem to work with c-ares when IPv6 name servers on top of the name server list don't respond

From: Cristian Rodríguez via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 23:25:45 -0300

On Thu, Nov 25, 2021 at 11:10 PM Cristian Rodríguez
<crrodriguez_at_opensuse.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 11:12 PM Dmitry Karpov via curl-library
> <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se> wrote:
>

> > Is it possible to work around this issue somehow?
>

> Yes, keep a local dns cache running and query that instead, nowadays
> most newer distros ship with systemd-resolved.. if that's not what you
> want, unbound will do the trick.
>
> To make sure my thoughts on this are correct can you tell me what icmp
> error you get ON THE WIRE about :
>
> IPv6 server1 <not responding>
>
> IPv6 server2 <not responding>
>
> and does the attached c-ares patch make any difference?

To make it more clear..the linux kernel does not consider a fatal
error the following icmp errors on connected UDP sockets:

Destination Host unreachable,
destination Net unreachable
Source Route Failed
Fragmentation Required

So, the socket is doomed to reach whatever timeout c-ares have.. this is a subtl