Re: A canonical URL host name dilemma

From: Ray Satiro via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 18:28:21 -0400

On 10/10/2021 4:48 AM, Daniel Stenberg via curl-library wrote:
> Stick to returning the name *un*-encoded by default in URLs and
> introduce a new option that percents-encode the host name when the URL
> is retrieved.
>
> This, to maintain the existing behavior to a larger extent. Parsing a
> URL with an IDN name and then again extracting the URL will then work
> identically as before, with the addition that it will also decode
> percent-encoded parts of the host name.

If someone passes https://%63url.se/ what is the disadvantage to storing
it as https://curl.se/ and only returning it like that? Is it really
necessary to store the encoded version as well when it's ascii only?
That seems unnecessary to me. I've never heard of anyone doing percent
encoded ascii hostnames before.