Re: Cookie storage customization?

From: Isaac Jurado via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 02:46:37 +0200

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 11:32 PM Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:

> I would love to learn what problems replacing the storage will solve for
> you.

There are two main goals in my case:

1. Minimize the amount of "active" sessions to against a domain
2. Minimize the amount of authentication "dances"

I have domain IP (Identity Provider) and then I have domains A, B and C.
They all need a session cookie to operate, which they generate through IP
(with something based on OAuth). On the client side I have N process that
may operate against A, B and C in an unpredictable order.

Each time a new session cookie needs to be generated, there's an
authentication dance:

- The client contacts A, B or C
- Server redirects to IP with a token
- Client contacts IP (verifying identity via a special "super cookie")
- IP responds with a redirection back to A, B or C, with the new session
identifier in the query string
- Client contacts A, B or C with the path given by IP
- Server redirects to the original location and emits a Set-Cookie header,
with the new session ID

That's 4 round trips over two different connections. When a session is
valid, only one round trip is necessary.

With SQLite based approach, cookie modifications are almost immediately
visible to the rest of the processes. With a plain text file approach,
authentication cycles are more likely to happen due to cookie updates only
happening at the process lifetime boundary (cookie jar loaded when a
process starts and flushed when a process terminates).

In essence, it's nothing other than a protocol optimization under a very
peculiar concurrency environment.

> We're usually open to discuss improvements; be it in functionality, in
> performance, in API or in accessibility. But I also think that every
> suggested
> change needs to be properly motivated and there needs to be a clear and
> real
> use case for every proposal.

The use case is real: it is a toolkit intended to enable automation on
applications constrained by their web user interface. There's a mixture of
web scrapping and back end service interaction, all over HTTP and using the
same authentication mechanism. In a way, it tries to behave like a web
browser: you can have the same website open in various tabs, but they'll
all share the cookies.

But, just as it's real, I'm aware that it's a statistical outlier.