Re: Version 8 at 25 years

From: Timothe Litt via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 08:09:15 -0400

On 02-Sep-21 07:22, Daniel Stenberg via curl-library wrote:

> 2. We call that release 8.0.0
>
> ... completely independently of what version we released immediately
> before then and disregarding what we add or not in that release. We've
> been ever-incresing the minor version number since the year 2000, and
> I've been struggling to figure out how to avoid us reaching 100 and
> thereby possible cause confusion among users.
>
> I don't want to bump the soname or change any compatiblity or APIs
> because of this. I just want us to work with smaller numbers for a
> while. I hope that one of the benefits with bumping the major number
> is that everyone who sticks with version 7 will rather soon feel
> outdated.

Bumping to version 8 gives you the opportunity to go to a padded 3-digit
minor version number; e.g. 8.000.0.

That would avoid the "100" issue in another 22 years.  I've seen more
than one script that does a string or floating
compare on version.

Note that the same issue arises with "10" - e.g. 8.10.0 is < 8.9.0 as a
string or as a decimal.

Yes, such scripts are technically "broken" (a proper version compare
splits on '.' and compares
each component separately as an integer) - but if you worry about 100
causing confusion, why not be proactive?

e.g. from one such widely-distributed bash script:

_CURL_VERSION="$(curl -V | head -1 | cut -d' ' -f2 )"
# shellcheck disable=SC2072
if [[ ! "${_CURL_VERSION}" < "7.67" ]]; then
    _NOMETER="--no-progress-meter"
fi
if [[ ! "${_CURL_VERSION}" < "7.33" ]]; then
    CURL="$CURL --http1.1 "
fi

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer