Re: relative performance

From: Stefan Eissing via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 17:37:07 +0200

> Am 24.08.2021 um 17:20 schrieb Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>:
>
> Hi all,
>
> For a long time I've wanted to get something done that allows us to compare curl's relative performance. Ideally something we can run every once in a while to compare that nothing major has turned sour without us being aware of it.
>
> A first step would be a tool we can run that measures "relative performance". Like doing N transfers of size X and measure how fast it can complete them. Running the same tool on the same host with the same server but built to use different libcurl versions should then not get noticably worse speeds over time. (Barring the difficulty of measuring network things when other programs are also running on the test host.)
>
> I'm not sure exactly how to do this, but I have a first shot at such a tool written and I figured we can create a new repository for this (curl/relative I'm thinking) and perhaps add more smaller tools for various tests as we advance. Then work out how to actually run them with different/current libcurls.
>
> Thoughts?

+1

For talking http/https I could help with a server setup, in case.

For my mod_tls/mod_http2 work I build some loadtests using h2load, but would be interesting to use curl as client as well. Not to compare both, but to see how my code runs with another implementation. Maybe there are some ideas to share.

Cheers,

Stefan