building curl on macos

From: Dave via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 14:58:53 +0100

Hello,
I'm attempting to build curl-7_77_0 on macOS to create a Universal 2
(arm64 and x86_64) version.

I'm building OpenSSL first and lipo-ing the release variants of
libcrypto.1.1.dylib and libssl.1.1.dylib successfully.

The relevant part of my script for the curl build stage is as follows:

---
export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.9
autoreconf -fi
./configure --prefix="$libdir/builds/osx/release"
--with-ssl=$openssldir/builds/osx/release --enable-threaded-resolver
--enable-warnings --disable-debug CC="clang -arch x86_64 -arch arm64"
CXX="clang++ -arch x86_64 -arch arm64"  CPP="clang -E" CXXCPP="clang++
-E"
---
This results the following error during the ./configure step:
checking whether to enable Amiga native SSL/TLS (AmiSSL)... no
configure: error: [redacted, $openssldir]/builds/osx/debug is a bad
--with-openssl prefix!
make: *** [config.status] Error 1
If I create a debug library for OpenSSL and place it in that folder it
does succeed.
My question is whether I can avoid creating and depending on openssl
debug libs with the right options for the curl configure script?
I'm not passing the /builds/osx/*debug* folder to the script at any
point, and I'm also using --with-ssl not --with-openssl so I'm
assuming it's inferring that somehow?
Thanks for any pointers,
Dave Elton