Re: difficulties with SSL certs

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2021 08:23:17 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 8 Apr 2021, Dennis Clarke via curl-library wrote:

> So I looked into the location where the ssl certs "should" be given my
> curl config :
>
> $ ./configure ...
> --with-ca-path=/opt/bw/ssl/certs \

Note that this is the *ca path* where OpenSSL expects to find individual certs
stored.

You use --with-ca-bundle to specify a "bundle" as a single file.

OpenSSL supports both setups.

> So I expect that the cacert.pem file at
>
> https://curl.se/docs/caextract.html
>
> would solve all my problems however :
>
> europa$ ls -lapb /opt/bw/ssl/certs/
> total 350
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 3 Apr 8 02:35 ./
> drwxr-xr-x 5 root wheel 9 Apr 7 00:14 ../
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 208075 Jan 19 04:12 cacert.pem
> europa$
>
> This does not help at all and even OpenSSL seems confused.

Exactly, because you now put the bundle in the directory where OpenSSL expects
a directory setup.

You should rather try your downloaded bundle like this:

$ curl --cacert /opt/bw/ssl/certs/cacert.pem -4 -L https://gitlab.com/ -o
/dev/null

... it certainly works for me!