Re: curl_multi_timeout and the multi_socket API

From: Fulup Ar Foll via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2021 00:06:30 +0200
I'm not sure to understand your logic. If you have to call curl_multi_timeout() at each iteration of your mainloop your logic should be wrong.

I also mix curl-socket with multiple other classes of sockets and do no call call curl_multi_timeout() at each iteration.

In my sample the eventloop call 'glueOnSocketCB' as soon as a curlsocket is readable. 'glueOnSocketCB' map mainloop event-names to curl-events name before calling 'httpOnSocketCB' that finally call curl_multi_socket_action to do the job. If you do so, you do not have to call curl_multi_socket_action. The secret is to map your main loop event-name to curl-names.

In my code 'glueOnSocketCB' is attached to mainloop within glueSetSocketCB that is called from multiSetSockCB. This last one is call from curl with " curl_multi_setopt(httpPool->multi, CURLMOPT_SOCKETFUNCTION, multiSetSockCB);"

For the timer you do not need an external lib, you may use timerfd and epool is just as find as any other mainloop. In my case I use systemd mainloop, because this what the rest of the application uses. I did libuv to make sure my code was independent of the mainloop, in case app developper would like to change in the future. I did not port for epool/timerfd, but I'm sure that it would not take more that few hours.