Re: curl_multi_timeout and the multi_socket API

From: Henrik Holst via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2021 19:02:18 +0200

Den lör 3 apr. 2021 kl 18:41 skrev Fulup Ar Foll <fulup.arfoll_at_iot.bzh>:

> Henrik,
>
> Curl timeout and mainloop timer as in my sample with libuv, epool, ... are
> completely independent. Curl handle its own timer to remind you when you're
> supose to do some action. But as soon transfert start you only handle
> communication go through the main event loop.
>
> In order to use epool, you only need to map what I did for livuv, nothing
> more nothing less. You only need to write the 'epoll' version of
> https://github.com/fulup-bzh/libcurl-mainloop/blob/main/glue-libuv.c and
> you should only call one curl_multi_timeout()

As I wrote earlier, usually when you call curl_multi_add_handle(), the
Timer Function CB is called once by curl with timeout set to 0. Then when
you call curl_multi_socket_action() with CURL_SOCKET_TIMEOUT the Timer
Function CB is usually called once more but this time with a timeout set to
1. If you do not call curl_multi_socket_action() again with
CURL_SOCKET_TIMEOUT after 1ms then curl stalls indefinitely since there
will be no read or write events triggering the event handler to return
events, in fact you won't even get a call to your Socket Function CB before
you handle that first 1ms timeout.

Now I might have misread what you wrote, but some external timer is still
needed so the question at hand is if having such a timer is more or less
complexity/overhead than simply calling curl_multi_timeout().

/HH

Fulup