Re: Can the CURLOPT_WRITEFUNCTION ever be called when CURLOPT_UPLOAD is set to 1?

From: Andreas Falkenhahn via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2021 12:10:47 +0100

On 16.01.2021 at 23:00 Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> We should probably make this clear in the docs somewhere, but I'm not really
> sure how or where...

Thanks for clarification! Here are some suggestions concerning better documentation from a user's point of view:

1) Does CURLOPT_MIMEPOST imply CURLOPT_UPLOAD? If it does, it should be mentioned in one of the man pages because as it stands, it's unclear whether CURLOPT_UPLOAD has to be set as well when CURLOPT_MIMEPOST has been set already or whether the two are mutually exclusive.

--OR--

2) If setting CURLOPT_UPLOAD to 1 should only be done when supplying the data via CURLOPT_READFUNCTION it should be mentioned on the man page of CURLOPT_UPLOAD that setting CURLOPT_UPLOAD to 1 should only be done if one intends to use CURLOPT_READFUNCTION to provide the data and not use other means of providing the data like through CURLOPT_MIMEPOST.

Currently this is somewhat unclear because all that CURLOPT_UPLOAD says is that "the CURLOPT_READDATA and CURLOPT_INFILESIZE or CURLOPT_INFILESIZE_LARGE options are also interesting for uploads" which is very blurry because it doesn't make it clear whether setting CURLOPT_UPLOAD to 1 will force the user to use CURLOPT_READFUNCTION...

--
Best regards,
 Andreas Falkenhahn                            mailto:andreas_at_falkenhahn.com