Buy commercial curl support. We help you work out your issues, debug your libcurl applications, use the API, port to new platforms, add new features and more. With a team lead by the curl founder Daniel himself.

Re: How to dynamically generate UUID in curl command (like macros) before sending http request?

From: Timothe Litt <litt_at_acm.org>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2024 14:52:20 -0400

What OS?

On most Linux/Unix, use uuidgen.

curl -X POST -H "x-client-request-id: {$(uuidgen)}" -d '{"a": 1}'
https:/example.com <http://example.com>

If you need it for subsequent requests, use

UUID="{$(uuidgen)}"

curl -X POST -H "x-client-request-id: ${UUID}" -d '{"a": 1}'
https:/example.com <http://example.com>

and insert $UUID in the cookie/uri/whatever you need for those requests.

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer
if any, on the matters discussed.