Buy commercial curl support. We help you work out your issues, debug your libcurl applications, use the API, port to new platforms, add new features and more. With a team lead by the curl founder Daniel himself.

Re: 403 Forbidden Error

From: Dan Fandrich via curl-users <curl-users_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2024 14:13:55 -0700

On Thu, May 16, 2024 at 08:55:15PM +0000, Brian Walsh via curl-users wrote:
> I¢m very new to using curl and I¢m trying to set up a batch file to download
> images from a website. The website is here: http://gfaarchive.info/
> gfaArchive.php.
>
> I want to download images such as: http://gfaarchive.info/gfa/gfacn32/
> 20240517T0600_cldwx_012.png
>
> I¢ve tried multiple commands but nothing seems to work.

If the same URL works in a browser, then it's probably using some kind of means
to prevent robots from getting at the content. It might be the referrer header
or it might be any of a number of other means that it's using to fingerprint
the request. I'd start by using the "copy as curl" feature in your browser to
create a curl request that is nearly identical to the browsers'. If that works,
then you could start removing items until you find the one (or more) that
they're keying on. If that doesn't work, then they may be using low-level means
for fingerprinting and you'll be forced to resort to more drastic means.