Re: ftpd on-the-fly conversions incompatible with curl

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-users <curl-users_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 13:39:07 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 20 Apr 2023, Daniel Feenberg via curl-users wrote:

> According to this post (https://curl.se/mail/lib-2004-10/0035.html), if the
> SIZE command did not exist, curl would still work. It appears that existing
> and providing a specific error message is the getting in the way.

I believe some things changed in the mean time. Maybe in some cases in ways
they should not have...

I think what is problematic here is the 550 response code that is a bit
unexpected to curl if SIZE does not work/exist as it is usually the "no such
filr or directory" response code. In my view, it would've made sense to return
something else when the file *is* there but SIZE just refuses to deliver a
response. But I realize that doesn't help.

> I am not sure why curl bothers to issue the SIZE command even when the
> -ignore_content_length option is specified. It seems unnecessary.

Agreed. Room for improvement certainly.

> Is there any way around this?

Other than changing code I can't think of any.