How to trouble shoot "code 407 from proxy after CONNECT"

From: Walter via curl-users <curl-users_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 19:18:20 +1000

Hi all

I’m behind a corporate proxy which only authenticates via NTLM.

In oder to fetch an outside URL via curl I tried the following command line:

    curl --proxy ip:port --proxy-user 'DOMAIN\user' --proxy-ntlm https://httpbin.org/ip

I then get prompted for the password:

    Enter proxy password: …

After typing the password curl negotiates with the proxy, but eventually exits with:

    curl: (56) Received HTTP code 407 from proxy after CONNECT

This type of fetch did work in the past, but something on the proxy side must have changed (the password is correct though). So now I get this proxy error.

How can I trouble shoot this problem?

Many thanks for any pointers!

Walter