Re: cacert.pem includes two malformed Trustwave certificates

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-users <curl-users_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 16:38:12 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 21 Jun 2022, Jeffrey Walton via curl-users wrote:

Curious!

> It appears cacert.pem includes two malformed Trustwave certificates.

Just to make sure, are you talking about the current cacert.pem on
https://curl.se/docs/caextract.html, downloadable from
https://curl.se/ca/cacert.pem ?

> It appears the Trustwave certs are using two octets for keyUsage
> instead of one.

The PEM file we provide is just a converted version of the original source
file hosted by Mozilla at
https://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla-release/raw-file/default/security/nss/lib/ckfw/builtins/certdata.txt

Can you spot if the error is present in their source file?

If it is, the error is somewhere on Mozilla's side.

If it isn't, the error is somewhere in
https://github.com/curl/curl/blob/master/scripts/mk-ca-bundle.pl