HTTPS Client Auth using Smartcard certificate

From: IMarvinTPA via curl-users <curl-users_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 11:39:47 -0400

Hi,
I am attempting to use git on Windows to connect to a gitlab instance
that is protected by HTTPS Client authentication. The certificate I
have that would work resides on a smartcard, and I cannot extract the
private key.

Is it possible to configure git/curl to use my smartcard client certificate?

I am getting errors that resemble the following:
"fatal: unable to access 'https://spork.fusion.navy.mil/...': schannel:
An unknown error occurred while processing the certificate."
(This one happened after windows prompted me for my PIN for a certificate.)

and
"curl: (35) schannel: next InitializeSecurityContext failed:
SEC_E_ILLEGAL_MESSAGE (0x80090362) - This error usually occurs when a
fatal SSL/TLS alert is received (e.g. handshake failed). More detail
may be available in the Windows System event log."
(This was an attempt to use curl directly. I did not get a pin prompt.)

Am I doing something wrong or is this a use-case that isn't fully
implemented yet?

--
Thanks,
Andy Bay