Re: Two-letter options?

From: Jeremy Nicoll via curl-users <curl-users_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 17:10:52 +0000

On Fri, 11 Mar 2022, at 15:29, Timothe Litt via curl-users wrote:
> On 11-Mar-22 09:58, Jeremy Nicoll via curl-users wrote:

>> The thing is, "the curl tree" isn't something I've ever seen. I just download and
>> use the curl binary (originally on RISC OS, nowadays Windows) and the idea
>> that there's scripts /at all/ is news to me - except for those I write for myself,
>> mainly in various flavours of REXX.
>
> The idea would be for curl distributions to include the autocompletion
> script(s) for platforms that support them, and include them in the
> install script.

Sure. I think we're sliding off the point I was trying to make, which is that for any
user who doesn't install curl source then build it, a fleeting reference to a scripts
folder is meaningless.

I wouldn't have made that point on the curl developers/library mailing list, but
here the audience includes people who don't build from source.

> Strangely enough, your platform isn't bereft of native command completion!
> ... PowerShell

I think I'm too old to learn another scripting language.

> (Even cmd has completion for filenames ...

Apparently so - using Ctrl-D (for directory completion) or Ctrl-F (for filenames)
/provided/ one's either fiddled with registry settings to turn it on, or invoked
cmd.exe with the /F:ON switch value.

Tab also works, I see, if you fiddle with a registry setting, though that might be
for a newer version of cmd.exe than I've got.

> but I don't think it's extensible to options/non-file parameters.)

I saw nothing suggesting it is, not even for the commands that cmd.exe itself
supports, far less commands/scripts that one might write oneself and invoke
from cmd.exe.

> There are, of course, multiple ways to run bash under windows as well.

I've experimented with Msys2 (and I expect that MinGW etc are similar) and
in its terminal windows I expect that there's standard shell processing going
on, but I'm not sure that I'd want to much linuxy stuff eg globbing happening
in a Windows terminal. To my mind one needs a different way of thinking
about what command lines mean (and which part of a system processes
each part of a command) and it's easier to keep the concepts apart.

I'm a fairly unusual Windows user in that I keep 2 command terminal windows
open all the time (ordinary user, Admin user) and issue a lot of commands in
them. I run perl, python and ooREXX scripts that way, but none of them would
benefit from directory/filename completion because the scripts themselves
are very specific about what they act on. On the other hand you might argue
that if I'd developed them on a system with useful completion options I might
have written them a bit differently.

[I also use a text editor which has an always-visible command line in it, from
which one can run native editor commands, editor scripts (which I write in
a variant of REXX), and invoke commands to run under cmd.exe etc. ]

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.