Re: roadmap 2022 thoughts? (.netrc)

From: Morten Kjærulff via curl-users <curl-users_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 14:34:17 +0100

On Sun, Jan 9, 2022 at 12:44 PM Timothe Litt via curl-users wrote:
> that might put entries not used by the current command into the swapfile, in addition to /dev/mem
If that's a risk, wouldn't that be true already today?
And better than having ~/.netrc in plain text?

> At some point you have to use and trust the filesystem's permissions...
If the file is gpg encrypted, I have to trust gpg and my good
passphrase, isn't that true?

> keeping sensitive data on a physically removable device
Yes

> A simpler approach to your scheme is to invoke cURL once per URL
Even if I specify only 1 url, curl will sometimes read the .netrc more
than once.

I am on windows/cygwin and zOS. On zOS I can create a RACF protected
dataset, which I consider much more safe than windows security. The
command to display .netrc could be a ssh into zOS, which displays the
dataset.

/Morten