Re: Regarding curl and OpenSSL 3.0.0

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-users <curl-users_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 12:31:43 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 26 Sep 2021, David Hu via curl-users wrote:

> The OpenSSL 3.0.0 has officially been released; however the curl release is
> still using OpenSSL 1.1.1l (N.B Latin small letter 'l', not number 1) by
> default

That is incorrect.

The curl project ships *source code*, with just one exception all binary
builds are provided by external parties. If you're not happy with them, you
can easily build your own.

The curl project does not ship with openssl at all, not any version. We ship
the curl source code that can be built with one or more of **14** different
supported TLS libraries, and also numerous different versions of those
libraries. We avoid making decisions about TLS libraries for users. We don't
even have a default TLS library choice these days. The one who builds curl
makes that choice.

The only binary package we provide in the curl project is the windows download
at https://curl.se/windows/ and that is shipping built with OpenSSL 3.0.0. In
general, that package features very recent versions of all its dependencies.

> And is it possible to use OpenSSL by default on future releases?

You probably use a curl package provided by someone. Ask them about the curl
package they provide.