Re: Feature-Request: sendfile(2)

From: Michael Felt <michael_at_felt.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2021 10:10:01 +0100

a) Long before sendfile() there was/is send_file() in the UNIX world.
b) just read in the linux man pages that sendfile() is limited to 2GB
file transfers
c) imho - too much complexity for read/write activity when one medium
(network) is likely much slower (or faster) than another medium - or
even over two network interfaces.

As an example - Python has a sendfile function for most, but not all
platforms. And yes, it can be faster - but some platforms have rather
complex interfaces - and so end up not getting implemented. re: cURL -
more complexity means more complex, time-consuming maintenance. If I had
a vote - I would say no as a "nice to have" but would consider it with a
definite advantage over not having it. Would have to why the cost of
maintenance and possible (security) bugs - as people look for ways to
abuse it.