Re: Allocate ssl backend

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2021 13:54:06 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 19 Feb 2021, MichaƂ Antoniak wrote:

> In our project we use the mbedtls library. After our optimizations, the
> ssl_backend_data structure is 1828 bytes in size. Unfortunately, I don't
> know about other encryption libraries.

First, they're not "encryption libraries", they're TLS libraries. They do much
more than just encryption.

Then: this looks like an area for improvement in the mbedTLS backend as I
don't think there's any good reason for this struct to be this big. If you
roll up your sleeves and get to work I expect it could be taken down
significantly.

To compare, the wolfSSL ssl_backend_data struct is 16 bytes.

I'm biased (as this is a product by my employer) but wolfSSL is a way better
choice than mbedTLS almost every time, for this and other reasons.