Re: Binary garbage for amazon?

From: Tomalak Geret'kal via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2020 16:52:02 +0000

On 31/12/2020 16:30, Mac-Fly via curl-library wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> amazon.com was working just fine with cURL until
> yesterday. When I issue:
>
> curl.exe -A "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64;
> rv:59.0)
> Gecko/20100101 Firefox/59.0" https://www.amazon.com -o
> "out.html"
>
> ...I get binary garbage in the "out.html" file.
> Note that I even tried to "hide" cURL by using a Mozilla
> user-string.
> Also note that this applies to amazon.com ONLY. all other
> pages I tried
> are working properly.
>
> What could be the reason for that behaviour?

Per the headers, it's gzip-encoded. If you output to
out.html.gzip, then unzip, it'll be fine.

I don't know why this just happened. I would have thought
curl would auto decode the contents to be honest.

curl 7.29.0 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.29.0
NSS/3.53.1 zlib/1.2.7 libidn/1.28 libssh2/1.8.0
Protocols: dict file ftp ftps gopher http https imap imaps
ldap ldaps pop3 pop3s rtsp scp sftp smtp smtps telnet tftp
Features: AsynchDNS GSS-Negotiate IDN IPv6 Largefile NTLM
NTLM_WB SSL libz unix-sockets

Tom