Re: curl_easy_cmdline

From: Zakrzewski, Jakub via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2020 16:17:53 +0000

On Wed, 2 Dec 2020, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> To me, that's probably one of the bigger philosophical concerns about this
> idea. curl uses libcurl, libcurl doesn't know about curl.

> But then nobody else than libcurl knows exactly what has been set for a
> transfer so only libcurl itself can do a decent conversion...

> I'm personally both for and against this idea! =)

Think of it as a functionality present in many applications: "copy as curl" and also
a great orthogonal feature to the "--libcurl" option.

In software I maintain, we use libcurl for nearly all network communication and nearly every
aspect of that is controlled by the user of the software. It's quite complicated. Now, if there's
a problem curl is the number 1 test tool - if curl can speak to the server, the error is on our side
(either in code or in front of the monitor) otherwise it's the server (it's never a curl bug ;) ).
Right now we are struggling each time to construct a test command from the final set of options.
Having libcurl generate it, would save a ton of time each time I have to debug stupid mistakes...

--
Jakub