Re: Epoll performance issues.

From: James Read via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 10:29:33 +0000

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 27, 2020 at 7:22 AM Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Nov 2020, James Read wrote:
>
> > Has anybody ever actually succeeded in making a high performance
> application
> > with epoll/libcurl as the back end.
>
> Yes. Although most people I know of use an event library in between and
> not
> epoll directly, but they would still eventually use epoll on Linux
> machines.

I see. Any projects that you can give us as examples? Any that are open
source?

> If you think you can reproduce an issue and you can provide the source
> code
> for it in a smallish application source code, then please do so. It would
> allow us all to run, test and debug the thing from our ends.

I would be genuinely interested in hearing if you think there is any code
that can be cut from the fast program without breaking its epoll
functionality. As far as I can see this is as small as it's going to get.

> Have you said what libcurl version and SSL backend you're using? I presume
> most of your URLs are HTTPS?

curl --version
curl 7.70.0 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.70.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1f zlib/1.2.11
Release-Date: 2020-04-29
Protocols: dict file ftp ftps gopher http https imap imaps pop3 pop3s rtsp
smb smbs smtp smtps telnet tftp
Features: AsynchDNS Debug HTTPS-proxy IPv6 Largefile libz NTLM NTLM_WB SSL
TLS-SRP TrackMemory UnixSockets

All the URLs in http001 are HTTP URLs but with redirection many of them
turn out to be HTTPS.

James Read