Re: Feature request: extend CURLOPT_RESOLVE to allow adding non-permanent DNS cache entries

From: Tomalak Geret'kal via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 16:17:40 +0000

On 18/11/2020 15:05, Groke, Paul via curl-library wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Nov 2020, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
>
>> Exactly how to extend the format can of course be further discussed. I think I would prefer a slighly more descriptive text, like perhaps ":temp" - and we could then introduce that extra field for further instructions if we want to later on.
>> We should just make sure that we don't shut the door for doing it in the future.
> OK. So ... do you mean we extend the format so that if the string starts with a colon, there's a first part that contains options/switches. And the only option currently defined is "temp".
>
> Did you mean it like that? Or did you mean to append ":temp"? If so, I don't really like the idea of using ":" as a delimiter after a field (address-list) that can contain ":" (e.g. in IPv6 literals). While it would be possible for ":temp" because IP literals cannot contain alphabet characters, I don't really like that idea.
>
> So assuming you meant ":temp" as a prefix, the 3 formats would be:
>
> host:port:<address-list>
> -host:port:<address-list>
> and the new
> :<option-list>:host:port:<address-list>

Personally, I'd go with:

    host:port:<address-list>
    -host:port:<address-list>
and the new
    +host:port:<address-list>

Though either kind of entry can ultimately be removed with
"-", an explicit "+" feels like an action ("add this mapping
to the expireable cache"), and the first variant with no
prefix becomes the odd-one out, a declarative "this mapping
just exists" (unless & until I say otherwise with a "-").

Syntax for further options can be introduced if it's ever
actually needed.

Tom