Buy commercial curl support. We help you work out your issues, debug your libcurl applications, use the API, port to new platforms, add new features and more. With a team lead by the curl founder Daniel himself.

Re: Adopting wcurl into the curl project?

From: Dan Fandrich via curl-users <curl-users_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2024 14:52:51 -0700

On Sat, Aug 03, 2024 at 08:54:30PM +0200, Daniel Stenberg via curl-users wrote:
> I would like to offer the wcurl tool to get adopted into the curl project as a new separate tool
> for the project to manage and offer to the world. If the maintainers and team behind it approve
> and think this is a good idea of course.

I've previously raised my objections in
https://curl.se/mail/lib-2024-07/0001.html It boils down to it providing a
brand-new official (if accepted) alternative interface to curl without a
strong philosophical reason for existing. The rationale given was "To be a
command that lets users download files without having to pass any parameters,
using curl; to be as simple as it can, trying to do as little processing as
possible." So, in that sense it's basically a dead end; there's little that
can be done (or needs to be done, really) to make it better or adapt it to
different use cases. It saves a few keypresses when you want a quick download
to disk, but not much else. That doesn't seem enough of a reason to me but
maybe that's all everyone else does with curl and this will change the world
for them.

Anyway, that's one opinion.

Dan