Re: Pre-built 'dev' library ?

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-users <curl-users_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2021 11:20:11 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 5 Feb 2021, John Emmas via curl-users wrote:

Downloading and using pre-built libraries for Windows is an error-prone and
bug-riddled narrow road that requires that you truly know what you're doing.
Be aware. I always and strongly advice users to build their own libraries to
know exactly how and what you get and use. As a secondary approach: use some
kind of package manager and make sure you get libcurl and all its dependencies
from the same package manager system so that they're reasonably likely to work
together.

The pre-built libraries you downloaded are not provided by the curl project
but by friendly contributors. The only binaries we provide from the project
itself are the curl (the tool) packages on https://curl.se/windows/ and
they're linked statically.

> I'd been building some open-source software (called Mixbus) which seems to
> need it. Mixbus is now compiling and linking okay but at runtime, Windows
> complains because it can't find some additional DLLs, such as
> 'libcrypto-1_1-x64.dll' and 'libssl-1_1-x64.dll'

Those are OpenSSL DLLs. You need to make sure that they can be found and
loaded at run-time if your libcurl was built to use them.

> I've been told that I probably need tiny-curl (which apparently doesn't need
> external DLL's) so I visited a different web page this morning and clicked on
> the link for tiny-curl 7.72.0:-

That doesn't sound like the correct advice. tiny-curl is just a special curl
package tweaked for smaller foot-print and some extra RTOS portability, it
doesn't do anything special for using or not using shared libs on Windows.

You can use tiny-curl sure, but you can also use regular curl.