Check remote file exist with libcurl

From: Sztrepka Pál via curl-users <curl-users_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2021 10:20:00 +0100

I want to write a function that checks to see if a remote file (prot.
http) exists.
( Do not download the file content, only check! )
I have tried several curl options but so far have failed.
(only header option, max file size option, range option... not work)

For example:
   curl -IH http:www.example.org/bigfile.xml

The problem: For a large file, this unfortunately takes a long time to
get the result back.
But, i don't understand why.

--
Sztrepka Pál