Re: show the URL in the error message?

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-users <curl-users_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 23:58:43 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 15 Nov 2020, Daniel Stenberg via curl-users wrote:

> C. Can we do better?

I took it a bit further, based on an idea Jay brought in the PR[2]: I'm
providing the necessary information as variables for the --write-out option.
This way, a user can design their own error messages!

This example does three transfers in parallel, and the middle one fails. They
all use the same input URL and it uses -s to not show any error message:

$ curl -Z -s localhost -o /tmp/okay localhost -o /tm localhost -o /tmp/okay2
--write-out "%{onerror}curl: (%{exitcode}) %{errormsg} %{url} %{urlnum}\n"

curl: (23) Failure writing output to destination localhost 1

This works thanks to 5 new variables, but the most interesting one is perhaps
'onerror' which makes the rest of the line not show if the exitcode is zero.

With these tools offered, I think maybe I should leave the default error
output as it is.