Re: show the URL in the error message?

From: Jeremy Nicoll via curl-users <curl-users_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 15:22:33 +0000

On Mon, 16 Nov 2020, at 12:31, Daniel Stenberg via curl-users wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Nov 2020, Jeremy Nicoll via curl-users wrote:
>
> > If anyone currently parses error messages that might cause some grief.
>
> This suggestion extends the error message with more information so even if
> users would extract the text, shouldn't such users also benefit from more
> details in there?

If by "extends" you mean the new information is on the righthand end of the
old message it's possibly less of an issue (but not if someone has been slicing
text relative to the end of the message), but what you actually said at the
start was:

   One way to fix this issue, is to include the used URL in the error message,

and "include" might also have meant the URL would be somewhere in the middle
of the message.

Of course I'm not against error messages containing more information.

Looking at the wider issue ... are all the messages that curl can issue
documented somewhere?

IS there an attempt not to change their formats?

As (nowadays) a hobby programmer using curl only occasionally, I usually only
glance at the release announcements, but I just looked more carefully at the
recent one for: [RELEASE] curl 7.73.0. While the list of bugs-fixed etc is great
- lots of detail - I'd hate to have to read through every bug report - or worse
have to look at every commit - to find out if any messages had possibly changed.

Am I the first person to comment on this?

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.