Re: show the URL in the error message?

From: Jeremy Nicoll via curl-users <curl-users_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 12:14:40 +0000

On Mon, 16 Nov 2020, at 02:37, Dan Fandrich via curl-users wrote:

> I don't think curl has ever made any guarantees that verbose logs or error
> message text will never change. This is a risk that applications that parse
> these messages are taking.

Sure, I understand that. But curl is more or less by definition a tool for
scripts to use, and thus you have to expect that its messages may be
redirected somewhere and post-processed.

> There are ways that most applications can get more
> fine-grained data (e.g., one of the 99 different error codes, one
> of the 27 different callback functions or one of the 66 different CURLINFO
> values).

And which of those will contain the error URL?

> If there's a need for even finer monitoring than that, then a more
> robust means of getting that data should be specified instead of freezing
> what's meant to be human-readable messages.

/Are/ they meant only to be human-readable?

There's clearly a point when a programmer needs to consider whether it's
more sensible to make a minor change to an existing message, or to
produce a new message.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.