Buy commercial curl support. We
help you work out your issues, debug your libcurl applications, use the API,
port to new platforms, add new features and more. With a team lead by the
curl founder Daniel himself.
Re: Please consider a bugfix release (8.23.1)
- Contemporary messages sorted: [ by date ] [ by thread ] [ by subject ] [ by author ] [ by messages with attachments ]
From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2026 14:09:46 +0200 (CEST)
On Fri, 23 Oct 2026, Alexander Turenko via curl-library wrote:
> I'd like to highlight two unreleased bugfixes for the libcurl
> maintainers to decide if they are worth a bugfix release.
Thanks for bringing this up and highlighting the specific issues.
We have decided to stick to December 9 as the release date for the next curl
release. We will of course reconsider this if we get a reason for it.
We bounced around this request in the team. We have tried to take multiple
factors into account here:
- Are there regressions in the previous release that are annoying and that
cause issues to many users?
- A patch release is a release. We need to ship at least thirteen CVE fixes in
the next release, we can't do that too soon.
- Every release we do means many days of work for us; shorter cycles mean
more release work and less "curl work".
- Every release means days of work for almost every consumer and
downstream distributors etc. Patching, backporting, upgrading etc. On a
global scale, it matters.
- Stability and predictability. We aim to stick to our eight weeks schedule so
that future release dates don't move around too much and we can plan ahead
accordingly.
- Eight weeks is already a rather short time to wait for the next release.
- No paying customer has asked for an expedited release plan.
We also discussed and considered related issues such as that a curl release
might also trigger upgrade procedures for things such as the ca-certificates
that certainly SHOULD be upgraded (already days ago).
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2026 14:09:46 +0200 (CEST)
On Fri, 23 Oct 2026, Alexander Turenko via curl-library wrote:
> I'd like to highlight two unreleased bugfixes for the libcurl
> maintainers to decide if they are worth a bugfix release.
Thanks for bringing this up and highlighting the specific issues.
We have decided to stick to December 9 as the release date for the next curl
release. We will of course reconsider this if we get a reason for it.
We bounced around this request in the team. We have tried to take multiple
factors into account here:
- Are there regressions in the previous release that are annoying and that
cause issues to many users?
- A patch release is a release. We need to ship at least thirteen CVE fixes in
the next release, we can't do that too soon.
- Every release we do means many days of work for us; shorter cycles mean
more release work and less "curl work".
- Every release means days of work for almost every consumer and
downstream distributors etc. Patching, backporting, upgrading etc. On a
global scale, it matters.
- Stability and predictability. We aim to stick to our eight weeks schedule so
that future release dates don't move around too much and we can plan ahead
accordingly.
- Eight weeks is already a rather short time to wait for the next release.
- No paying customer has asked for an expedited release plan.
We also discussed and considered related issues such as that a curl release
might also trigger upgrade procedures for things such as the ca-certificates
that certainly SHOULD be upgraded (already days ago).
-- / daniel.haxx.se || https://rock-solid.curl.dev -- Unsubscribe: https://lists.haxx.se/mailman/listinfo/curl-library Etiquette: https://curl.se/mail/etiquette.htmlReceived on 2026-10-23