Re: cURL Win32 SSL Binary won't do anything

From: hunter <theantigod_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 08:35:38 -0400

Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, hunter wrote:
>

>>Does anyone know why I cannot get the SSL binary to do anything ... not
>>even generate the manual or version number. The Non-SSL binary workse fine
>>and I am using exactly the same command lines.
>>
>>2002.09.18 20.47 139,238 curl-7.9.8-win32-nossl.zip
>>2002.09.18 20.46 143,342 curl-7.9.8-win32-ssl.zip
>>
>>I thought perhaps the problem was because it could not find libeay32.dll or
>>ssleay32.dll, but I have put them in the same directory.
>>
>>I am stumped... but reading through docs. If someone knows what I am doing
>>wrong I would appreciate a hint.
>

> I'm not usually running windows, but when I've done so, I've used curl from
> those packages with success, as have hundreds or perhaps thousands of other
> users.
>
> This indicates that the error is in your system/environment and not in the
> binaries.
>
> Unfortunately, I have no clues at all to what the problem might be.

Daniel,

Thank you for responding.

Last night I discovered why the SSL version of curl would not work. It
required a DLL that has changed (name) or in other words, needs an old
version of OpenSSL.

I executed cURL in an odd way and finally got an error message - it was
asking for the DLL, libssl32.dll. Using google I was able to locate the
binaries for this DLL and its companion libeay32.dll, but these appear
to be OpenSSL 0.9.6d (I tried to build the source with newer openssl but
had problems ... this must be the reason for the cURL beta source).

I was providing OpenSSL 0.9.6g - since that is the most recent source.
I have not been following the development of OpenSSL long enough to know
of the apparent API change.

I can now use this version of cURL to experiment but have to keep the
binaries together.

I was going to place a note on the list after I managed to build a newer
version, but I have not been successfull - I got distracted.

Thanks again,

Chris.