cURL 7.9 for cygwin

From: Roth, Kevin P. <KPRoth_at_MarathonOil.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 15:15:50 -0400

Hi there. I think I'm finally done (for now) with making any necessary
cygwin related changes to curl 7.9, and I have it packaged up again as
well.

Attached is my patch file (made against the 7.9 stable release
distribution). Daniel - you can ignore the changes to configure.in and
lib/Makefile.am, as you've already seen those two and have already added
them to CVS. The extra "-1" in the version number of the patch file (and
of the binary/source distribution files) is a Cygwin thing; it will
become 7.9.1-1 upon the next curl release, etc...

I selected packages/Cygwin as the place to store the README file; if
you'd prefer something else (packages/Win32/Cygwin?) just let me know.

I will send (separately) the tarballs to Daniel for both
curl-7.9-ssl-cygwin and the matching patched source file. According to
the folks on the cygwin-apps mailing list, they don't typically make
more than one cygwin binary of any given package available (e.g. not
both ssl and non-ssl). So I chose the SSL release (since OpenSSL is
available in binary form for Cygwin and because that's the default
anyways). The old version 6.1 cygwin no-ssl binary can *probably* be
removed from the downloads page. And once these changes are incorporated
into cURL 7.9.1, it should not be necessary to have a separate copy of
the curl-for-cygwin source distribution available...

Also attached is the patch for ltmain.sh (the libtool file in your
distribution). It's a post 1.4.2 patch that will become part of libtool
1.4.3, and it's required to allow "make install" to function properly
(see prior note).

I added a make target (to Makefile.am) of "cygwinbin", to package up the
cygwin binary tarball. If you prefer a different approach to what I did
(including moving to packages/Cygwin/Makefile.am) I'm open to suggestion
;-)

This has been quite a learning experience for me; hope I haven't annoyed
you all too much with my questions.

Thanks,
--Kevin