Re: cURL 7.9 for cygwin

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 08:26:05 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Roth, Kevin P. wrote:

> Hi there. I think I'm finally done (for now) with making any necessary
> cygwin related changes to curl 7.9, and I have it packaged up again as
> well.

Many thanks for your efforts and patches. They've been applied successfully
now. I have a few minor comments regarding them:

> I selected packages/Cygwin as the place to store the README file; if
> you'd prefer something else (packages/Win32/Cygwin?) just let me know.

It isn't very important, but perhaps it would make more sense to have it that
way, in the same style that we have packages/Linux/RPM. It would also require
that the current packages/Win32 stuff is moved into packages/Win32/mingw.

> Also attached is the patch for ltmain.sh (the libtool file in your
> distribution). It's a post 1.4.2 patch that will become part of libtool
> 1.4.3, and it's required to allow "make install" to function properly
> (see prior note).

I applied this as it seemed harmless enough to the rest of the world.

> I added a make target (to Makefile.am) of "cygwinbin", to package up the
> cygwin binary tarball. If you prefer a different approach to what I did
> (including moving to packages/Cygwin/Makefile.am) I'm open to suggestion
> ;-)

Ah, the root makefile is already polluted with some package-specific targets
so I figure it is OK. Let's try to stay with the goal that any extra
package-specific files are added in the their respective packages-directory
though.

BTW, a minor nitpick: the "CygwinTmp = /tmp/curl-binary-build" to a path to
build the cygwin curl in, wouldn't it be better to 1) use a local temporary
path and 2) use the pid or something in the path to make it "unique" and thus
enable two simultaneous builds... ?

> This has been quite a learning experience for me; hope I haven't annoyed
> you all too much with my questions.

You have certainly not annoyed me!